So just who is Jessie J? well, she’s certainly no bubble gum pop artist. Ms. J tells it like it is and keeps it real always. ‘Fresh’ isn’t quite the word to use when describing her sound. In fact, her songs play on different genres: rock, pop, r&b, reggae, and even soul. So how can Jessie be classified into one category when she’s mixing so much elements into one work of art that has been titled “Who You Are“.
Jessie’s debut album is raw. The songs have substance and the lyrics are crystal clear. Passion, charisma, creativity, and originality, Jessie J embodies all these aspects and showcases them all in her first release. Read the entire review below in order to fully comprehend the point I’m trying to get across: Jessie J is here to stay!
1. ‘Price Tag‘ is a wonderful choice to start off the album. The song is making waves both in Jessie’s homeland and here in the States. The concious lyrics allows us to self-evaluate and see the important things in life. And who could make a thought provoking record like this one without the help of B.o.B, who’s rap lyrics are often about evaluating not only yourself, but also life in general. This track is somewhat of a lesson, teaching us to forget about the material things and appreciate life.
2. ‘Nobody’s Perfect‘ is one of my favorite songs on the album. It’s such a relatable track. Everybody makes mistakes. We all do or say things that hurts another sometimes. Jessie is saying that she’s learnt from all the mistakes she’s made in the past and now hopes to receive forgiveness. “I’m not a saint…” Lyrics are indeed speaking the truth. A talented songwriter that proves her skills throughout the record.
3. ‘Abracadabra‘ showcases her strong vocal skills. Jessie’s singing about her love and affection for the guy. She wants to have him right now with the snap of her fingers, like magic. She doesn’t want to wait. The feeling’s real and she doesn’t want it to go away. The song has a 90’s pop vibe to it. I really like her harmonies in this one too.
4. ‘Big White Room‘ is another one of my favorites. It’s almost like being caged in. Jessie wants to be free and not be confined into this space, but this feeling also contradicts the fact that she needs to stay within this room to keep out the pain outside of it. A beautiful song that touches the core of your soul. Her passion pulls you in and you can’t help but feel the words to the song. There’s no way I can fully describe how incredible this track is, except to recommend that you listen and be prepared to get emotionally moved.
5. ‘Casualty of Love‘ is the couples anthem on the album. Jessie would rather fight for love than to give it up. She wants to be there for the guy no matter what. Love faces many trials, and the true strength of your relationship will be proven if you can overcome them all. A lovely song with a soulful feel.
6. ‘Rainbow‘ tells a story that we’re all familiar with. This song picks up where ‘Price Tag’ left off. Everybody’s working hard towards their goal. We’re the colors of the rainbow, so let’s work hard together. An uplifting song that is guaranteed to revive you from feeling down and out.
7. ‘Who’s Laughing Now‘ is a F**k you to the haters. Jessie’s saying that all the criticism she’s faced only made her grow stronger. She sings about how hypocritical people can be, tearing you down when you’re trying to make it, and when you gain some form of exposure they start acting like they’re your friends. A song that states the truth: Haters will always hate.
8. ‘Do It Like A Dude‘ is the ultimate “don’t underestimate me” track. Who can forget this strong debut from Jessie. The song gives a play on words similar to the gender-bending depicted in Ciara’s “Like a Boy”. Jessie’s saying she can get down and rough like a guy, and act out all the characteristics they embody. Interesting song.
9. ‘Mamma Knows Best‘ has a jazzy 50’s feel to it. Jessie is basically saying she won’t tolerate a man’s dishonesty, and that he should just leave without thinking she’s gonna be in pain when he’s gone because she has the best remedy when she’s feeling down: family. Don’t settle in a relationship that only causes you distress, there is more and better things in life.
10. ‘L.O.V.E.‘ is the only song that’s all about love on this album. Jessie makes that clear in the lyrics as well. She’s singing about her relationship and how it completes her. This guy has her heart. He knows how to treat her, keep her happy and stand by her in hard times. Jessie is completely in love with him, making the lyrics so sweet and captivating. Again her vocals are so flawless and filled with passion. I can’t stress enough on the magnitude of her talents.
11. ‘Stand Up‘ for the “love love love”. Beautiful song telling us to go chase our dreams, live life to the fullest, and be happy with yourself. I love how positive her music is. She’s constantly sending the message to let go of the negativity and appreciate every single moment. Don’t give up and strive to be happy!
12. ‘I Need This‘ is the power rock ballad on the album. Jessie wrote this song for Chris Brown, but I think she kills it. The song is saying sometimes you need time for yourself when you’re in a relationship with issues. Both need to take time away from each other and figure out your own feelings. Sometimes they’ll get back together after things are cleared up, but sometimes they don’t. Either way, space is important in order to breathe, and this song is just breathtaking.
13. ‘Who You Are‘ is a great way to conclude this amazing album. Always be yourself. Don’t conform with any other beliefs but hold tight to your own. Jessie’s singing about self-acceptance in this one. Life gets hard and we won’t always be happy, but never give up on you and keep fighting on. Continue to be ‘who you are’. Another one of my favorites. Check out the live performance below:
Jessie J stated that “Who You Are” took over 6 years to complete. And though it was done over such a long period of time, the result makes it worth the wait. Each track exhumes its own uniqueness. Words with meaning and music with limitless effort. Way to go Jessie, “Who You Are” earns 5/5 from EMBRACE YOU.